Our Home - The Skiff Bed

My husband and I have 2 four-legged children.  They are both chocolate labs and they fill our home with hair  an unconditional love and joy that only dogs can bring.  We tend to do things for them that normal people would not.

One of our extreme things is the building Jaxson's skiff bed.  My husband and I built our own boat and recently finished our second one.  Brian's friend built a skiff bed for his young son a while back and Brian had the idea of building a mini skiff to be Jaxson's bed.  I was for it as long as it coordinated with the living room and it didn't take up too much space.  Right now Jaxson has a baby bed mattress on the floor in the living room and one on my side of the bed.  He loves having his own space and I knew he would use the mini skiff if we took the time to make it.  Also, I figured a skiff bed is better to have in the living room than a random baby bed mattress.

Brian did most of the wood work and building of the bed. I used high density foam as the mattress and sewed a matching mattress and pillow cover (yes he uses a pillow). We chose colors that would really be found on a boat but also matched our living room. It really turned out cute and Jaxson loves it. I find it fascinating how smart dogs can be. He knew it was his and started laying in it as soon as it was finished. I smile every time I see him in his skiff bed.



Our boat
Jaxson in his skiff bed.
Trying out the mattress

Already loves it. 

Sabine helping her daddy with the mini skiff.


Sabine trying out the bed.


Jaxson in his bed and Sabine thinking the camera is out just for her.

Crazy right?!  But he loves it so who cares.  It's a great conversation piece when people visit and it really is more attractive than the random baby bed mattress hanging out in the corner. 

Tomorrow I have the day off for election day so hopefully I'll be able to get my office set up!

THANKS FOR READING!