Whats cooking!!


This kitchen is actually an add on to the house.  The previous homeowners added it on about 2 years ago.  When we first went through this house I fell in love with the kitchen.  I loved the farm house sink, the large bar, the pine plank flooring, and the light cabinets.

Before:




After:











 I am so happy with the transformation.  This kitchen was quite the journey, it really pushed me out of my comfort zone and forced me to take a few risks.  I really like high contrast so I thought I wanted dark granite.  When my husband and I went to pick out the granite I didn't see a dark granite I loved, I was so sad, I took home some samples of light granite to see what I liked with the cabinets.  Trying to match cabinets with a sliver of granite is quite the task.  I stewed over it for a few days went back to the granite yard a few times and finally decided on this granite, and I couldn't be more happy with it.  The best part about this granite is you can't tell when it is dirty.  Very helpful with kids.





My next task was the backsplash.  I have always really wanted a glass backsplash.  Being that we have SO much area to tile complete glass was out of the budget.  I was determined to have at least a little glass, this is what we came up with and I love how it turned out.  The glass tiles bring in the color but doesn't overwhelm the space.

My husband and I put up the backsplash.  Yes, this was our first time.  I thought we would just start it one night and be done.  Boy was I wrong, we got a row and a half done in one night.  I believe it took a week to get it all done!

I never realized there was so much to tiling.  Make sure it is spaced right, don't put too much mastic on, don't put too little mastic on.....etc etc etc.  I have a new found respect for people who tile for a living!  It was worth it I loved how it turned out!

We also put knobs on the cabinets.  I looked high and low for square knobs and ended up finding them on Overstock.  I am so pleased how they look on the cabinets.

I also repainted, I wanted to make sure my paint was lighter, as I didn't want your eye to go straight to the paint I wanted the cabinets to stand out.


I love this light, the previous homeowner put it in.  I love that it hangs over the sink, at night when I am doing the dishes I turn off all the lights except this one and I love the mood it creates.  It KIND OF, notice the kind of, makes doing dishes fun! 


We really wanted a new hood for the stove, but we ran out of money as they can be quite pricey, so I invested in a can of spray paint and sprayed it oil rubbed bronze!

I love how my kitchen turned out.  My daughter and I have made sure it is broken in.  We have spent many hours in there making treats.  We do share, what we don't eat first!

Brooke



Click HERE to see where I am linking!  I LOVE LINK PARTIES!!